Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- Did anyone in your group participate in the prayer vigil? What was your experience like with your time of prayer?
- If you called a friend and told them you just wanted to listen to whatever they had to say, how do you think they would react?
We need to listen to God in prayer, not just talk to Him.
Who is someone that you could listen to them talk all day long? What makes them worthy of your attention?
Think of someone you know (maybe even in your group) whom you would describe as a good listener. What things do they do that make them a good listener?
What has been your experience with listening to God? Has that been a normal thing for you, or an unusual thing? Why or why not?
What does the Bible say?
Read Luke 5:12-16
Why is it of interest that Jesus withdrew to lonely places to pray? What does that tell us about His ministry?
Read John 12:49-50
What do these verses tell us about the benefit of listening for God’s words?
Apply the Message
- How can you give yourself time and space to listen to God this week?
- Busyness is a big distraction for all of us, but is often the time when we most need to pray. How can you prioritize listening for what God has to say to you in the midst of your busyness?
- What is one question you can ask God this week that you need to listen for an answer?