Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- Would you rather forget the past or know the future?
- Name a time when you were shocked that you didn’t win.
The experience of living in a fallen world can leave us broken and bruised emotionally; leaving us susceptible to strongholds that can keep us in bondage. But there is good news! Jesus came to heal our emotions and set us free from our strongholds.
What stood out to you from this weekend’s message?
If you stood up during one of our services this weekend, share your experience with the group. We need to be able to celebrate what God is doing and encourage one another as we follow Christ.
We learned this weekend that Jesus came to “heal the brokenhearted” and “set at liberty those who are oppressed.” When we do not come to Jesus for emotional healing and freedom, these strongholds can take root in our lives.
Why is it important to recognize that these can be strongholds, not just negative emotions? What is the key difference between a mood and a stronghold?
What does the Bible say?
Read Luke 4:16-21
- What are the keystones of Jesus’ ministry according to this passage?
- What does it mean that Jesus said, “Today, this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing?” What are the implications for us today?
Apply the Message
James 4:7 says. “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” Freedom and healing begin with repentance and submission to God. When we are open and honest with each other and hold each other accountable, we help each other to resist the schemes of the devil.
We identified strongholds that can arise when we are brokenhearted, crushed or bruised.
- Anger – do you have a hard time controlling your anger?
- Insecurity – do you feel a constant desire for affirmation and attention?
- Pride – does it strongly matter to you what others think about you?
- Independence – do you have a hard time taking advice, asking for help, developing relationships?
- Easily offended – do you have a tendency to take every comment extremely personally?
- Excessive shyness or Loneliness – are you fearful of other people to a high degree?
- Control and Manipulation – do you find yourself controlling / manipulating others to get your way or “protect” yourself?
- Unforgiveness – do you struggle to forgive when you have been hurt? Is there something you just can’t “let go?”
We are all flawed and we all experience sin. Which stronghold is the biggest issue for you? (Be honest with yourself and your group.)
Take time now to pray for each other to experience healing in the area of their stronghold.
Follow up with each other next week. Ask each other: are you beginning to experience victory in this area?