Is There a God?
After snacks and connecting for a while, gather and start the following introduction.
Dostoevsky said, “Without God, everything is permitted.” Thus, knowing the answer to today’s question helps us know how to live in submission to God or to ourselves only.
A. W. Tozer famously quipped, “What comes to mind when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” So, with that, let’s look at how others answered this important question in the first video, Pulse of the World on God.
Video One: Pulse of the World on God
This video is a 2.5-minute survey of many people’s responses to the question, “Is there a God?”
Questions for Discussion
- Did you identify with anyone’s expressed views in the film? Does some of this sound familiar from past conversations about God or faith?
- To what do you attribute the 11% decline in the belief in God over the past twenty years?
Video Two: The Curiosity Collective: Is There a God?
This is a 10-minute collection of subject matter discussing the question, “Is there a God?” It displays the various questions, struggles and perspectives of these individuals regarding this week’s topic. See what they have to say and discuss it.
Questions for Discussion
After watching the video, choose from this list of questions or ask some of your own to facilitate discussion. There’s no need to limit your discussion to these questions or to feel pressured to cover all of them in the time you have.
- In what ways can you identify with any of the stories in The Curiosity Collective? What did you find intriguing or compelling?
- What makes it easy to believe in God? What makes it hard to believe in God?
- What role—if any—did God play in your family when you were growing up? How does your upbringing impact your beliefs now?
- In the video, Andy shares that he’s convinced God exists because of “cosmological constants” and their impact on life. What has convinced you that God either does or does not exist?
- What do you think of Corey’s suggestion, “If there is a God, I can’t prove Him nor can I disprove him with science”?
- What do you think could convince you to change your current stance on God’s existence—be that belief or unbelief?
Psalm 19:1 states, “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”
In what ways have you experienced (or not experienced) God’s presence through creation? How did those experiences affect your belief (or disbelief) in God?
Romans 1:19-20 “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made…” (ESV)
In other words, if there is a God, all people have experienced Him – though they might not have known it or attributed that experience to God.
This week, keep an open mind and consider how the creation around you might speak of God and His plans.
Thoughts to Share with the Group
Most of us “hope there’s something else out there.” And the thoughts people have about God are as diverse as the people who’ve thought them. Most have attributed their life to some form of god or Supreme Being. As we saw and discussed, there is ample evidence supporting this. Yet, it seems, for us to be confident that there is a God, he must “reveal himself to us in a way that makes sense.”
As you wrap up this session, share or summarize these bullets:
- Acknowledge that with a topic as big as this, there is no way to answer the question comprehensively.
- Inform the group that you’ll be sending some follow-up resources so people can continue to explore God.
- Thank people for joining the discussion, and invite them to stick around if they want to continue the conversation.
Resources: Explore More on God
The following resources are designed for deeper exploration of the topic of God’s existence. If you are doing this series offline, you can e-mail these resources to your group after the session. Simply copy this section and paste it into an e-mail.
- Parent Resources for Elementary, Middle, High school and Special Needs. (https://theparenthub.net/family-activities/)
- Are the Odds in God’s Favor? (https://www.exploregod.com/are-the-odds-in-gods-favor-video)
- The Danger of Seeking God (https://www.exploregod.com/the-danger-of-seeking-god-video)
- Is God Real? (https://www.exploregod.com/is-god-real)
- Who Created God? (https://www.exploregod.com/who-created-god)
Daily Stream of Inspiration
- Top 50 Questions about God (https://www.exploregod.com/top-50-questions)
- A Deeper Look at What the Bible Says about Who God Is (https://www.exploregod.com/what-the-bible-says-about-who-god-is-paper)
- The Reason for God, Tim Keller (https://amzn.to/182feqr)
- Rumors of Another World, Philip Yancey (https://amzn.to/146skk8)
Additional Content on God
- “God,” Explore God (https://www.exploregod.com/god)