Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- Would you rather eat your favorite dinner cooked for you for a year or make a different dinner every night for a year?
- Where did you see an act of boldness this week?
In this week’s message, we learned that when we trust the opinions of others more than the truths of God, there could be devastating results. We don’t need to defend our position with God, we simply need to depend on God.
What stood out to you from this weekend’s message?
Share a time when you or you have seen someone pleasing God instead of pleasing others. What is the result?
What is the difference between “people pleasing” and “loving people where they are”?
What does the Bible say?
Read Daniel 3:1-7
- Have you ever been asked to submit to an authority even if it went against what you valued? What was your thought process after being asked?
Read Daniel 3:12-18
- Describe Shadrack, Meshach, and Abednego’s responses to this situation. What can we learn from the way they responded?
Read Daniel 3: 19-30
- What is keeping you from trusting God completely? How confident are you that God will come through for you if you follow Him?
Apply the Message
We see both of these choices lived out by Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in this story:
- I minimize my focus on what others think of me.
- I maximize my focus on what God thinks of me.
Are either of these difficult for you to choose? Why?
After Easter, we will be launching a new sermon series in partnership with 48 other churches around the Triangle called Explore God. What do you all think you want to do for this series?