Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- Have you ever seen a ghost? If so, what were the circumstances? If not, do you think that non-physical beings exist?
- Do you think everyone has a conscience? Why do you think specific things bother some people but others not?
- Have you ever needed a guide? What were the circumstances?
The Spirit inside you is > than Jesus beside you
How did the songs we sang this weekend relate to the message we heard? (Hands Toward Heaven, Our God Reigns, Do it Again, There’s Nothing Like the Name)
What is the difference in understanding someone and knowing someone? Can you think of an example from your own life?
What does the Bible say?
It has been said, “a simple description of God can only help us understand a ‘simple’ God.” The Bible however, describes God as much greater than anything else we might encounter (1 Kings 8:27; Jeremiah 23:24; Isaiah 55:8-9); we shouldn’t expect to intuitively understand God any more than we should expect a child to intuitively understand marriage dynamics. This doesn’t mean that we (or a child) can’t know God. In fact, God invites us (just as many of our fathers did with us) into a meaningful, fulfilling relationship with Him. This week Donnie helped us to notice what God has shown us about himself, specifically about the Holy Spirit, and based on that knowledge we can grow in our relationship with Him!
What is the Holy Spirit? Read: Acts 5:3-4; John 15:26; & John 16:13-14
- The Bible uses “he” instead of “it” to describe the Holy Spirit! What would you say to someone who thought of the Holy Spirit as more of a force?
- Is the Holy Spirit God?
What is the Holy Spirit up to? Read: Romans 8:16, 26-27; John 14:16, 26; John 16:13
- What are four things that these verses describe the Holy Spirit as doing?
- Who benefits from these actions and what does that practically does that look like?
Apply the Message
God in us > anything we face! This week, memorize 1 John 4:4 as a group and every time you yourself or you suspect someone you care about is tempted to be discouraged, or anxious or to have feelings of helplessness, share this verse on social media, via text or in person!