Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- Have you ever been driving and suddenly realized that you don’t remember the last several miles? (How many people in the group will admit to this?)
- What are the two most foundational skills or abilities where you work?
- Most people would say that it’s tragic for someone with humble beginnings to “forget where he/she came from.” Why do you think that is?
The Christian life is just like anything else; we can’t allow all the business and the complexity of life to distract us from the fundamentals of our role if we’re going to thrive. Unlike everything else however, Christianity has only one key fundamental – we didn’t become a Christian on our own hustle, skill or hard work. Instead, it’s through faith in what God had already done for us. If we lose sight of our dependence on God we have no chance of being the men and women we were designed to be!
What stood out to you from this weekend’s message?
How did the songs we sang this weekend relate to the message we heard? (The Lion & the Lamb, Yes & Amen, No Longer Slaves)
When was a time that you trusted God and it made a difference?
When it comes to relationships, how can years of faithfulness be just as impactful as one dramatic demonstration of commitment?
Do you think one is more popular in our culture today? Why?
What does the Bible say?
- When it comes to our relationship with God today, how important is a mindset of “faith” or “trust?”
- What does “living by faith” look like? Who do you know best exemplifies that?
- When it comes to the most important things in life, do you have a hard time trusting authority figures? How does their “track record” affect how far you will trust them?
- Why is it hard to trust God?
Apply the Message, Own the Mission
This week’s application has three steps:
- Identify your one greatest source of anxiety (a lack of faith). This could be something recurring or something you expect in the future.
- As a group, memorize 1 Corinthians 2:9. Two suggestions:
- If you’ve never seen Scripture Typer, download the (free!) app or check out the website to memorize this the easy way.
- Write out a copy of the verse by hand and put it somewhere you will see every day.
Commit to trust God with this issue when it comes up this week. Claim the promise of 1 Corinthians 2:9 for yourself.