May 2 & 3, 2020
Ten: Week Seven
The Seventh Commandment – Intimacy
God gave us the Ten Commandments to teach us about relationships, relationships with Him and with other people. We’ll study this seventh commandment by examining:
- What the Seventh Commandment is and The Principle of Intimacy.
- How we get to adultery and how lust affects our lives.
- Some suggestions to keep us from adultery and the Ten Commitments of Marriage.
- In the Seventh Commandment, God tells us that “You shall not commit adultery,” which brings us to The Principle of Intimacy.
In Exodus 20:14, God warns us to not commit adultery, and the principle behind this commandment is The Principle of Intimacy, which helps us understand how to have intimacy with God and with our spouses.
God created sex as a way to enjoy the pleasure and intimacy of marriage.
- There is a process in getting to adultery, and the impact of lust greatly affects our lives.
Lust precedes adultery.
The word for lust is also used in the Bible with the meaning, “to have a passion for other things.”
What are the negative impacts of lust in our lives?
1st – Lust affects your relationship with God.
The Bible uses different words for sin: transgression (action), iniquity (inward motivation).
2nd – Lust affects your relationships with the people in your life.
“If we love each other, and we’re going to get married anyway, what difference does a
piece of paper make?” It’s not the marriage license; it’s God’s blessing on your life that makes
All sexual immorality opens the door to numerous sins (deception, manipulation, lying).
Looking precedes lust.
- Here are some suggestions to keep us from adultery, and there are Ten Commitments of Marriage that are helpful to follow.
1st – Push the clock forward.
2nd – Recognize your times of vulnerability.
C.S. Lewis said, “The long, dull, monotonous years of middle-age prosperity are excellent campaigning weather for the devil.”
3rd – Continue to work on your marriage.
4th – Obey the Ten Commitments of Marriage.
The Ten Commitments of Marriage
1. You shall have no other human relationship before your spouse.
2. Remember to date and keep it fresh.
3. Remember your anniversary so your life may be long on the earth.
4. You shall not be apathetic toward your marriage.
5. You shall not search for old sweethearts on Social Media.
6. You shall not ride in a car alone with a member of the opposite sex.
7. You shall not eat alone with a member of the opposite sex.
8. You shall not have a trainer that’s a member of the opposite sex.
9. You shall not work late with members of the opposite sex.
10. You shall not share intimate details of your marriage with a member of the opposite sex.
To what degree are you willing to go to protect what is most important to you?
Why not be extreme now instead of finding yourself in a place where you wished you had been extreme? We either have extreme regret or extreme standards.