Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- Share your first memory of taking a trip on a plane. If you have never been on a plane, share why you haven’t. (fear, lack of opportunity, no need to, etc.)
- Would you rather fly or drive for a long trip? Why?
- What songs come to mind when you think about flight?
Living the “Christian life” isn’t about following a list of rules. It’s about a relationship with God that is built on unconditional love.
What stood out to you from this weekend’s message?
When expectations of performance enter a relationship, how does it change? (i.e. compare the relationship you have with your boss or teacher verses the relationship you have with a parent, spouse, etc.) Why are these relationships different?
What does the Bible say?
Read Romans 8:1-3
We learned this week that the word condemn means: To pronounce an unfavorable or adverse judgment on, to express strong disapproval of; to pronounce guilty, to judge or to pronounce unfit for service.
- In light of this definition, what does this passage mean for those who are in Christ Jesus?
- Who did the work in this passage? What does it say God requires of us to remove condemnation from us? (What requirements do we have to meet?)
- How does understanding the implications of this truth affect our relationship with God?
- What would change about the way we treat ourselves and others if we accepted this as truth?
Apply the Message
What we could not do through our own effort (live up to God’s standard of perfection), God did for us through Jesus Christ. We can’t do anything to add or take away from what Jesus has already done.
- What does this truth do to our attempts to “earn” favor from God?
- What is one thing you will do this week to remind yourself of this truth when you feel you need to earn God’s approval?