Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- How old were you when you first flew on a plane? Is there anyone who has never flown in our group? If so, why not?
- What is your favorite fall tradition?
- Landing the plane on Taking Flight: Get a piece of paper for each person. Have everyone fold the paper airplane and see whose goes the furthest.
The key to transformation is learning truth through God’s word, allowing it to change the way we think and then obeying His word.
We have learned several key truths through the Taking Flight series. Listen and consider which has impacted you the most:
- The Christian life is about a relationship with God built on unconditional love, not following rules.
- The goal of the Christian life is to allow Jesus to live His life through us, not trying to imitate Him in our own strength.
- When our minds are renewed, it breaks down our resistance to God’s rule in our lives and allows God to have greater influence over our wills.
- Biblical commands without Biblical thinking always results in short-term obedience and long-term frustration.
- Accountability causes you to choose between your cravings and your character.
- We “put on the new” by learning to counter specific lies we believe with specific truths from God’s word.
Who wants to share which truth has impacted you the most and why?
What have you struggled with from this series? What has given you hope?
What is one thing you have begun to do or view differently as a result of going through this series?
Apply the Message
Transforming our minds and changing the way we live begins by filling our minds with God’s truth. In services this weekend, we were challenged to memorize one verse a week for 12 weeks. You received a handout of 12 cards a verse on each card as a tool to help. If you missed getting your cards, you can print them here.
- Come up with a plan to memorize all 12 verses over the next 12 weeks. (There are plenty of websites and apps that can help you – search to find one that works best for you!)
- Next week, we will each share a verse we memorized with each other.
This weekend you heard about our new discipleship study called, Anchored. We are so certain this study has the potential to help you grow in your relationship with Jesus that we want all small groups to go through it. This will replace the weekly message based studies between now and Christmas to allow you to use this time to go through Anchored.
To see the study, go to gethope.net/anchored. Weeks one through three are available now; the rest of the study will follow soon.