The church is not a place we go, but a people who express the hope of Jesus to the world.
What was your best and worst experience with church as a kid?
Read the passage where Jesus’ uses the word church for the first time in the Bible (Matthew 16:16-19).
- In your own words, how would you define Jesus’ vision for “church?”
- How does it make you feel that God wants to give you real responsibility in His mission?
Take turns reading the 7 signs of a healthy church from Acts 19:8-23 on the next page.
- Which of the signs of a healthy church is most inspiring to you or challenging to you?
- Share an example from your life when you have experienced church in a healthy way.
- What are you most grateful for in your life from being part of Hope Community Church?
Read Revelation 2:2-5 and discuss:
- What did this church in Revelation do well and what did God say they needed to do differently?
- What do you think Jesus would say to your group? What would He affirm? How would He encourage you to grow?
Share one step you could take in your life to make Jesus more of your first love.
Have someone read the prayer in Ephesians 3:16-21 for your group and spend some time praying together as the Holy Spirit leads.
7 Signs of a Biblically Healthy Church
1. A healthy church teaches boldly (Acts 19:8).
2. A healthy church chooses to follow Jesus (Acts 19:9).
3. A healthy church persistently shares the gospel (Acts 19:10).
4. A healthy church strives for Biblical unity (Acts 19:17).
5. A healthy church demonstrates Spirit-Filled worship (Acts 19:17).
6. A healthy church is a place where life change happens regularly (Acts 19:11-12).
7. A healthy church creates a disturbance (Acts 19:20-23).