Ice Breaker (optional – choose one below)
- How do you decide who gets to control the radio on a car trip?
- Is it harder for you to make the decision for a group or have someone make a decision for you?
This week we learned God is in control and His plan will not be stopped, regardless of attempts to resist or try to control things on our own.
What stood out to you from this weekend’s message?
It sounds ridiculous to try to tell God, “No, you will not have your way,” but in practice, we do it more often than we want to admit. Have you ever tried to take control of a situation away from God? What was the outcome?
What do you turn to when you are afraid God can’t or won’t come through for you in a situation?
What does the Bible say?
Read John 11:14-45
- This passage describes one of the most dramatic miracles of Jesus’ ministry on Earth. In verses 15 and 25-26, Jesus shares why the miracle is important. What is the key reason Jesus brought Lazarus back from the dead?
- What was the result in the people who heard about the story (v. 45)?
Read John 11:45-53
- What did the Pharisees hope to accomplish by silencing Jesus through his death?
- What did they accomplish instead?
- How have you seen someone try to oppose God’s plan, yet end up being a part of bringing God’s plan to fruition?
Apply the Message
We can lose our way when we try to control the outcome of things we have no real control over. Talk through these questions together:
- Where in your life are you sacrificing what you know is right in order to try to control the outcome?
- What consequences could result from you to continue on this path?
- What could God potentially do if you stopped resisting Him in this area and committed to do what is right, regardless of the outcome?
After Easter, we will be launching a new sermon series in partnership with over 50 other churches around the Triangle called Explore God. This study will be available through message-based study guides at Gethope.net or the GetHope app when it begins or the study can be found at TriangleExploreGod.com.