We forgive because Jesus forgave us.
What’s something that someone else forgave you for that you probably didn’t deserve their forgiveness?
Which of these misconceptions of forgiveness have you believed or practiced?
- Forgiveness is conditional
- Forgiveness means it didn’t hurt
- Forgiveness includes restoring a relationship
- Forgiveness means forgetting
- Forgiveness removes consequences
Genuine forgiveness includes:
- Remembering how much you’ve been forgiven
- Giving up your right to get even
- Canceling the debt owed to you
- Repeating forgiveness as long as necessary
Which of the above tends to get in the way of you being able to offer forgiveness?
What does the Bible say?
Read Matthew 18:21-35.
What are the consequences that Jesus lays out if you choose not to forgive? Does this seem just to you? Why or why not?
Apply the message
Who is someone you have struggled to forgive? How does that seem to be working out for you?
What do you have to do in order to truly forgive them?